In 1996, Birmingham city officials and a group of small business lending organizations started the Birmingham Business Resource Center as a “one-stop shop” small business development agency. The group’s objectives include:
- To promote the civic welfare of Birmingham citizens
- To assist Birmingham in its economic development efforts
- To promote and assist the growth of small businesses by providing programs that help them access capital
- To help the community by fostering increased employment opportunities through the expansion of business, industry and economic development
- To provide a convenient location for those looking for assistance in establishing, growing or expanding small business enterprises
The Birmingham Business Resource Center (BBRC) provides financial and technical assistance to small business owners who are in the start up and early stages of development. We strive to educate business owners by providing:
- One-on-one business counseling;
- Workshops on relevant topics such as developing strategic business plans and understanding how to obtain financing and increasing familiarity with local lenders;
- Access to capital and loan pre-qualification;
- Access to corporate supplier diversity programs and other market opportunities.
These program and services are implemented by partnering with local banks, government agencies and private businesses.
Since 1996, the BBRC has been a leading center for small business training, financing and technical assistance for small businesses. The BBRC remains committed to providing quality services for its clients, and addressing the needs of the business community.
Some BBRC accomplishments include:
- Provided more than $200 million in loans to small businesses, and has helped create more than 4,200 jobs since 1996
- Established the A.G. Gaston Economic Empowerment Conference in 2005
- Extended BBRC programs and services across Alabama via the SBA 504 loan program
- Created a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and a Community Development Entity (CDE)
- Designated as a Small Business Administration Micro-Lending Intermediary
- Received the coveted EDGE Award from the Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta and the Prime Grant from the U.S. Small Business Administration. Participated in SBA’s Business Link Program